Tuesday, December 7, 2010

NASCHY BLOGATHON: THE NUMBERS

And now, to sum up: as promised, a few numbers on the (to my mind) roaringly successful PAUL NASCHY BLOGATHON:

Hail to the King, Baby
Duration: 5 days (November 29-December 3, 2010)
Participation: 95 posts from 51 authors on 42 different websites.
Average unique visitors per day (to MMMMMovies):  532
Most reviewed movie: Horror Rises from the Tomb (reviewed 7 times)
Poll Results: respondents preferred a Bearded Naschy to any other variation by a factor of almost 2 to 1! (Though results may have been a bit different had I replaced "hypertrichotic" with the more pedestrian "really, really hairy." :) )

And the OCD Award for most active blogathonner goes to: Darius Whiteplume (Adventures in Nerdliness) with 7 posts!


I had planned to do a big "Closing Ceremonies" post about What Naschy Means to Me, and reflecting on the blogathon and the year we've spent without him--but as I thought about it, while reading these great posts about his films, his life, and his legacy, I realized that we haven't been without him at all. He's shuffled off his mortal coil, of course, and for his family and friends and fans, that's a huge loss--but in a real and not at all sentimental/sappy way (well, maybe just a little), he's still with us. In his movies, in the people whose lives he touched and influenced, and in the legions of fans whose numbers just keep growing year after year.

Besides, everyone knows how I feel about Naschy anyway. If you don't, just browse the archives. :)

So in closing, let me just say once again: THANK YOU to all the wonderful bloggers, artists, and non-blogging writers who pitched in for this blogathon. Many months ago, when the Duke and I first came up with this idea of a week-long tribute to our favorite filmmaker and actor, we were half prepared to be the only ones who cared enough to write--we thought maybe a few of our close blogging friends might chip in out of affection for us (or to keep us from sending the photos to the police), but mostly we were preparing ourselves for the worst. But as you know now, the response from Paul's fans across the blogosphere was amazing and overwhelming. Day after day I was surprised, amazed, and delighted at the quantity, quality, and variety of the tributes--it was all I could do to keep up with all the brilliance, and I still haven't caught up on my commenting! But I plan to, don't worry.

Anyway, to all the Naschy fans who participated, and to those who may not have been fanatics but took the opportunity to consider his legacy anyway, my deepest and sincerest thanks. You all helped make this a much larger and grander celebration than I or the Duke could have hoped for, and we're forever grateful. And to the patron saint of our blog, and the Guest of Honor at the festival: rest well, Señor Molina. I miss you, and I love you, and I will never forget you.

The Vicar

And don't forget--if you missed any posts, or want to revisit the blogathon for nostalgic purposes, THE PAUL NASCHY BLOGATHON LINKS PAGE is preserved here in perpetuity! Visit often, and look for new MMMMMovies content resuming soon!

3 comments:

Darius Whiteplume said...

That is a pretty awesome showing. Thanks for the OCD award. I do love to have a theme. I'd say I did six posts, as I don't count my Tumblr as actual blogging ;-)

I'm looking forward to watching some of the titles I missed and get some more "beefy awesomeness" into my long-term memory for next year!

Franco Macabro said...

This was an awesome blogathon, I will no doubt revisit the links to all the articles through out the year. I'll be watching a whole lot of Naschy in the next days thanks to the blogathon!

Congrats

deadlydolls said...

Great job! It was a pleasure to finally wet my Naschy toes (he's kinky like that) and a joy to see so many different takes on his film. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails